the Love of Christ with everyone"
Spirit of renewal
is occurring at Fulton First United Methodist Church.
While we preserve our Traditional past, we are moving
forward in Christ to meet the challenges and needs of a
Contemporary world. We struggle with issues, just like
other churches, but centering ourselves on Jesus Christ is
transforming our lives into a mutual, cooperative
congregation under God. Our Ministries are designed to
promote Christian values in a rapidly changing world.
We strive to have “Open Hearts, Open Minds, and Open
Doors.” Our Mission is to:
a safe environment for people of all ages to serve God
and nurture Christian growth and discipleship
and practice outreach programs that include the entire
others through Christian love and prayer
to bring us all into a closer relationship with Jesus
Christ and one another
Love and Worship Jesus Christ
and invite you to come experience the Holy Spirit at work
among God’s people. Share Christ‘s Love!
Please check the FAQ’s page on this website for further
information on us. You can contact us with questions
by phone at 270-472-3514.
not know who you were before you were born, is to always
remain a child"
grew out of small group meetings, so did the Methodist
church of Fulton. After the Civil War in 1865,
Fultonians began gathering together at Clark's Chapel
located several miles south of Fulton, Kentucky in
Tennessee. The roads, which were sometimes impassable,
encouraged the local Methodists to find a more convenient
location. An old seminary building at the east end of
Lake Street (so named for frequent flooding during heavy
rain) served the village for all social, civic and
educational functions. This place was chosen as a new
meeting site for the Methodist group. Under
the supervision of Rev. J.T.C. Collins, Memphis
Conference Sunday School Agent, and Dr. S.G. Patterson,
"Father of Fulton Methodism", the group continued for over two years until a church was organized.
the Fulton Methodist Episcopal Church South was formally organized with
eighteen charter members. This was the first church in
Fulton. Rev. T.L. Beard, while serving a circuit of
several churches, acted as organizing minister.
Between 1871 and 1873, the Methodists constructed a one room
first church building on ground donated by Dr. Patterson
located on the state line. In the year the building
was completed, Rev. Collins was appointed the first pastor
by the Memphis Conference. From that time on, the
church was no longer part of the circuit and had become a
"stationed" church with a full time pastor.
a rapidly expanding membership of more than 200 people
forced a need for a larger building. Accordingly,
three adjacent lots on the state line were acquired; two
donated by J.T. and Mary Collins, and the third
purchased. In 1889 the church moved to a newly
constructed larger building, the older building sold to a
local Presbyterian congregation. During the thirty-eight years this building was used, membership increased
from 200 to 644. The Memphis Annual Conference was
held in this building in 1898 and again in 1903.
the congregation outgrew the building. An old saloon
across the street was acquired to house the children's
department. Plans for a new church building began with
purchase of a lot on the corner of Carr and Second Streets
where an old tobacco barn stood. In 1927 during
the pastorate of Rev. J.V. Freeman, building and finance committees
were organized to produce a new church building, and it
remains our current church facility. Building plans
were drafted by Spencer & Phillips of Memphis, Tennessee;
and the building contractor was Walker Bros. of Birmingham,
were held on March 1, 1927. On Sunday, February 5,
1928, the first worship service was held in the new
building. Rev. Herbert E. Vaught was the pastor and
Bishop H.M. DuBose of Nashville, Tennessee preached at both
morning and evening services. The Bible used in these
services was the personal Bible of Rev. Collins, as
presented to the church by his widow. The Bible (over 158 years
serves as the pulpit Bible today.
The Memphis Annual
Conference was held in this building in 1936.
years 1980-1982 and 1997
major renovations to the building and sanctuary were
completed. New lighting and sound systems were
installed, walls repaired, all woodwork was refinished, and
new carpeting was installed. In 1999 a new handicap
entrance and atrium was constructed on the north side of the
building. The Willingham Center, a Christian activities building, was
opened in 1999. This facility, made possible by
the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Gid Willingham, houses a
half-size Olympic pool, gym and meeting room. The Wade
House was also obtained during this time.
from 1927 to the present
E. Johnston Varden
in God's hands"